Sun Kissed Days

Sun Kissed Days

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Follow The Passion

"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about."-Angela Schwindt
Last night I had a conversation with my son. He was indulging me by listening to small details that I was sharing with him. On most days he is rushed. He is living a busy life of a third year medical student. The other day he was on call at the hospital for thirty hours straight . After our conversation my thoughts drifted to the past, my little boy so proud to give me a Lego heart that he built for me. It wasn't on Valentine's Day it was a regular day. He was always affectionate and attentive. I remember when I went to visit him at Duke University where he was an undergrad we were at the Nasher Museum of Art at Duke. After we went through the exhibits we strolled through the museum store. There was a paperweight that said, "If you can imagine it, you can achieve it. If you can dream it, you can become it." Josh said, "that's cool". I agreed and I wanted to purchase it for him. He declined stating that he doesn't need it. Months later I remembered the quotation which later I found out to be a quote of William Arthur Ward. I called up the museum and I ordered the paperweight for Josh. I remember when I gave it to him, he was surprised and delighted that I remembered. " I always remember and take notice of what you say", I announced proudly. Last night I had to remind myself that I always told him to follow his passion. I feel left behind because he doesn't have the time to give me. But this is what we want for our children, we want them to live their life fully and to be whole. Some days it's harder to accept that they are grown and no longer need us for guidance. Some days there's a void even thought there is always gratitude that they are living their dream.

8 comments:

  1. Love this. It is amazing what our kids can teach us, isn't it? You must be so proud of your boy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Aidan. I am so proud of him and more than that, I am humbled by him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I imagine it's a bit bittersweet when they're all grown up. They're self sufficient and are no loger dependent upon us for their basic needs. But what a gift it is to us knowing that all those years of encouraging them to follow their passion have paid off.

    You make me look forward to my boy being all grown up with anticipation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Belinda, it is a bit bittersweet even though I am so proud of him. I smile at you saying that you can't wait until your son grows up. When Josh was little I couldn't wait to see him grown, but with Daniel I wait and I try to slow down the moment because it does go by so fast :) too fast:(

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really poignant, Ayala. I think moms of young kids (like me) underestimate just how much of ourselves are wrapped up in our kids. When they are grown, we'll have to rediscover who we are and re-examine our purpose outside of parenting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kelly, you make a good point. Even though I've always been busy with my business, I've always been wrapped up with my children. They are my world. Someday there will be grandchildren to wrapp ourselves with :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Ayala, this is bittersweet! Since DD is just a toddler, your post is a great reminder to cherish the time I have with her now. I'm in no rush for her to grow up. Not just yet...

    ReplyDelete