Sun Kissed Days

Sun Kissed Days

Monday, February 14, 2011

Sweet Nothings And Valentine's Day

"Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies."-Aristotle

When I met my husband, he had a sixteen year old dog. A mix of  German Shepperd, his fur was black and his coat still shined. His name was Mako, because my husband loves sharks. Mako was old and feeble. Husband was dedicated to his care and toward the end when Mako could not walk, husband would carry him outside. I watched and I remember thinking that this man with his boyish good looks possessed a heart of gold. Imagine how he would care for an ailing wife. ( not that I wanted to find out ! ) This was a long time ago and since then our life has been rich with a home life, our boys, adventures and loss. Husband has made me laugh when I have wanted to cry. He has been my rock in trying times. A few days ago we celebrated Valentine's Day. We went on a date. We sat at a restaurant waiting for our meal. We were touching each other, connected to one another. There were no sweet nothings said but there was flirtation and knowing glances, and familiar laughter. Anyone watching us would believe that our love was brand new. We are fortunate that this is the dance of our life. Hand in hand. My love wraps him like a blanket and his love sustains me. Love evolves, love goes through this dance we call life. As long as we nourish it love grows.

10 comments:

  1. Knowing glances are by far the best thing in the world... what a beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Corinne. I agree knowing glances are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the intimacy of touching and flirting with someone you know inside and out. (And the image of your hubs being so gentle and tender with Mako is beautiful.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is lovely, Ayala. My husband and I are very close and our relationship often gets mistaken for a new romance even though we've been married for 11 years. It may be because we constantly re-affirm that we want to be with each other.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Kelly. He was also amazing with our dog Angel, she passed away last year. He took such good care of her. It just makes me love him more :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Belinda. Both you and I are fortunate to have this after all these years. I think you are right a big part of it is re-affirming that you want to be together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was very touching and poignant for me because I had an old mutt that I was caring for when I met my ex hubby. He said that he knew I was a good person because of the love I gave my dog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww and he was right, you are a good person. I am glad that this brought back good memories to you.

    ReplyDelete