Sun Kissed Days

Sun Kissed Days

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The Artist

What makes an artist? Is an artist born that way or nurtured to become one? Pablo Picasso said, "every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up." My nine year old son Daniel asked me if I had an extra sketch pad that I could give to him. I said that I would have to check my treasure drawer where I keep my supplies of notebooks and assorted pens. "Why do you need an extra sketch pad?" I asked. Daniel replied that he saw a tip while watching television. The tip was that if you are an artist then you need to carry a notebook to write down your thoughts and your ideas. I smiled and said,"I used to do that". Daniel's response surprised me,"you used to write your thoughts on scraps of paper even on napkins". I felt delighted that he remembered. It was long ago I shared that with him .My heart soared because my son the artist remembered. My son had seen and captured my spirit. He held my stories the way I held his stories. I also smiled that he is inspired to write short stories. That he draws. That he makes me laugh with his sweet jokes that he makes up. He dreams and most of all I love that he recognizes himself for what he truly is,an artist.

2 comments:

  1. This is truly amazing because I JUST stumbled upon this very same Picasso post and sketched a blog post around it. What are the chances? Love the art and the sentiment here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is funny.I love Picasso and I remembered the quote while I was watching my son creating :)

    ReplyDelete