Sun Kissed Days

Sun Kissed Days

Sunday, October 28, 2018

Pittsburgh








Today I am reposting The Color Of My Blood which I wrote for the victims of Pulse nightclub. Today I feel it is fitting after another senseless act of violence. My thoughts are with the people of Pittsburgh. The victims woke up Saturday morning and all they wanted was to practice their faith, to observe the sabbath. I have no words.




The shape of my eyes,
the sound of my voice,
the shade of my skin,
my sexuality.
The color of my blood
the same 
as yours.
If you saw the light in my eyes,
if you saw my mother's tears,
if you felt her fears,
grief engraved on her skin.
Would you have yanked me
like a weed from the
garden of life,
Would you have shattered
me in pieces
 leaving me
to bleed out in the dark.
Ideologies differ,
dreams unalike,
my diversity
makes me
unique,
beautiful,
majestic,
a beacon in the fiber
of humanity.
The shape of my eyes,
the sound of my voice,
the shade of my skin,
my sexuality.
The color of my blood
same as yours.

18 comments:

  1. This is still a strong poem... I wonder how your mind can get so twisted by hate so this can happen...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Writing from the viewpoint of a victim of gun violence---how powerful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Senseless indeed. I too wonder how one can get so twisted in the head to even want to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im so sad with all this hate in US anybody come and killed other person for they believe or race or any others :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is beautiful and sad, Ayala. I cant believe all that is happening.........one of the victims was a Holocaust survivor, 94 years old. The world has gone mad, or at least part of the US has.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very, VERY moving. So true - we all have the same blood. We all have the same heart. I truly do not understand such hate for fellow humankind. This really IS one of your strongest poems ever!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still remember the first time you posted this vividly. Sad that there is a need for repost so soon. Brilliant poem

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so poignant. I still can't believe that this is happening. what has happened to our world?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, thank you! Somehow, I am still shocked by violence. I'll say this aloud.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Much needed tribute, Ayala. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautifully said – a poem which bears repeating. Though it is very sad that there is occasion for repeating it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ayala, did you receive my email about this poem? Would you please email me? I have a favour to ask.

    ReplyDelete
  13. P.s. my email is wildwomantwo@gmail.com.......thanks, kiddo!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you friends. I am left speechless at the moment. So much to say....and yet...speechless.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So very true and beautifully written Ayala.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous. Thanks.

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete