Sun Kissed Days

Sun Kissed Days

Sunday, October 15, 2017

The Places You will Go


The storm rolled in,
the trees were stark,
against the dark sapphire sky,
the roads an endless white blanket.
How quiet it gets
when it snows,
I thought the day you were born.
Love was held in each breath,
in your eyes I discovered 
the constellations
of the sky.
I cradled you in my arms,
my heart racing.
I wanted to live,
to love you
through your first scraped knees,
watch over you when you climb trees,
read you bedtime stories.
I wanted to live
to watch your pearly teeth
sprout like limbs of a young tree.
I wanted to guide you to catch
your first fish,
while the seagulls watch in anticipation
waiting to steal it.
I wanted to hear about your first kiss,
when your lips feel like they're on fire,
when they feel soft like billowy clouds. 
I wanted to build bridges between 
your generation and mine.
Share postcards of oceans I have crossed,
of places you will go one day,
when you grow up to be a man.
Building your own life,
your own future.
I wanted to play games
I had played with my brothers,
when we were children,
build forts out of sheets and pillows.
Dance with you in the kitchen,
the way I dance with your grandfather
when the harvest moon floats in the sky.
I wanted,
I wanted,
I want
your breath to be yours,
your space to be free,
your journey to be one of discovery.
Shape your world 
and mold it with your interpretation
and your intention.
Navigate your compass
with true wisdom,
questioning,
seeking,
loving.

57 comments:

  1. You are signing my song, or the song I sang when my child was born...a beautiful poem. It touched my heart, squeezed it, and rung it out. Thank you for your beautiful poem. It was just right!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is every parent's desire put beautifully in verse. Lovely. Thanks for writing this wonderful piece

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ayala, I so adore the poems you write for your grandson. I know that feeling, of wanting his world to be perfect. We will have to get better leadership in place long before he can understand what's going on. Looking at that little shining face - motivation enough for healing the world. A gorgeous poem. I can see a book of poems to him, as the months and years go on.......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, just come across from Blogoratti.
    Thought this was a lovely read and picture.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh i just hope that we can give him a world where that is possible... may it be so for him, and every child.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The heart of every mother for every child. So beautifully worded. BRAVO

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hopefully such a world shall come due and he shall find his path within it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a loving poem, Ayala!! I wish him a wonderful world to grow up in.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this! A beautiful expression of a Grandmother's love ... and hopes ... and dreams. Wonderful words!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awww, he is so bautiful, and this is such a lovely poem. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. So beautiful, Ayala. A universal prayer for our children.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The image of dancing in the kitchen made smile, and reminding me of days now gone when I danced with my grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh all this hope, longing and love I takes me right back to when my children were young. Children are a treasure. beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have these same dreams too for my little grandsons - love them to bits!
    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my these lines were beyond beautiful for me:

    in your eyes I discovered
    the constellations
    of the sky.
    I cradled you in my arms,
    my heart racing.
    I wanted to live,
    to love you


    Thank you for the beauty and the infant is a dear. Awww...

    ReplyDelete
  16. in your eyes I discovered
    the constellations
    of the sky....what a beautiful line.
    Love this poem, Ayala. And your grandson is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a love song to a child. I hope most of that came to be.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your words eloquently express the thoughts and wants of every new mother. So beautifully written. Bravo

    ReplyDelete
  19. My heart echoes your words, Ayala, for my granddaughters. Such a heartfelt and loving piece for your beautiful boy. May his life be filled with all good things. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gayle. I wish the same for yours. xo

      Delete
  20. This is stunning.....the hardest thing as grandparents and parents is to somehow, step back, and let our children find their compass. At some point, our guidance fades and we must be still and they must live their lives as they wish. Beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete
  21. So sweet...I love your poem Ayala ~

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such a loving poem you have written your grandson. It made me aware of how my parents and grandparents must have felt about me. Nice perspective from a parent.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful words of love and I understand and know them so well.
    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete
  24. in your eyes I discovered
    the constellations
    of the sky.
    I cradled you in my arms,
    my heart racing.
    I wanted to live,
    to love you

    This is so incredibly beautiful!!💞

    ReplyDelete
  25. Nice picture of the beach. I liked these phrases: "in your eyes I discovered
    the constellations
    of the sky."

    ReplyDelete
  26. It would be fun to know how life would be treating them in a different time zone in the future!


    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  27. It is the releasing that is so hard. Being willing as parents to lay down our own wants for them and letting them write their own story - knowing that they will stumble at times and hoping we have given them the wisdom they need in those moments.

    Hello Ayala.

    ReplyDelete
  28. There is nothing like dreaming of a grandchild's future....your poem is a beautiful reverie written with love!

    ReplyDelete